Saturday, October 17, 2009

Living in Taipei

Have been living here in Taipei now for just over a month and enjoying the new lifestyle here. We live in the Shi Da area, a nice quaint and crowded area of Taipei. It is very convenient with two MRT subway stations within 5 minutes walk and a whole host of cheap eating places to choose from each night. Eating out compared to the US or New Zealand is dirt cheap, a delicious meal for two would cost approximately $6USd on average. Some places you can eat as cheaply as $3 for two people!

I had started up my training last week, beginning with easy morning spins on the rollers. I then did the Epic 190km ride that I ended up 'bonking' in. I recovered quickly though to have enough energy to play tag rugby at the American school in Tianmu. I played well, at least till I fell and ripped open my knees. My left knee was the worst hit since it re-opened an old cycling injury from 3 years ago - it had been torn open enough times to prevent skin re-growth! Also, since I had not run since last year, my muscles had a shock and for three days I was hobbling around like an old man! This put me off cycling for the week, but I spent three hours yesterday cycling around Taipei City. The best way to understand a city is to let yourself get lost and go with the flow. I visited a few language schools that I spotted and went in to enquire about teaching positions and to leave my resume. I cycled mostly around the back streets, checking out all the shops and outdoor eating stalls that were lined up on the road. I also took a few photographs with my Nikon D90, but it was hard to hold the heavy camera in one hand, steer the bike with the other and watch out for traffic! I enjoyed a freshly made pork 'Baozi', steamed bun (piping hot) on one of the busy corners for only $8NT (about 20cents).

Today I went on a proper training ride to Maokong Mountain. It was not too long, 40kms and 1hr 40mins. I did a couple of 1min 500 plus watt efforts and also did the mountain climb in 16 mins @ an average wattage of 335. Which was not too bad for lack of training since the Deaflympics. I will be racing the Giant Cup Criterium race in Taichung at the end of this month and need to re-gain some semblance of form I had prior and during the Deaflympics. Some quality structured training over the next couple of weeks should sharpen me up for the event, which will be my first Taiwanese race.




No comments: